Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I have a tenant above my hairdressing shop who runs a

Customer Question
business in beauty. I have...
I have a tenant above my hairdressing shop who runs a business in beauty. I have let her the premises for 4 years or so, but with an unsigned agreement. It has come to my notice (despite not being told personally) that she plans to leave. Does she need to give me official notice of 3 months or can she just go. Thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
1/25/2016
Lawyer: T_Graham12,
 replied 2 years ago
T_Graham12

Thanks for your question.
Does she pay her rent weekly, monthly or quarterly?

Kind regards,
Tom

Monthly. Direct to my bank. £650 all inclusive of bills
Lawyer: T_Graham12,
 replied 2 years ago

Hi

Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.

If she has not signed her written lease agreement and pays her rent on an agreed monthly date then she would probably be regarded as occupying the premises under a monthly periodic tenancy.

This is where the tenancy continues from month to month until terminated by either party. So, if she wished to leave then she would have to give you one month’s written notice to terminate the tenancy and this notice would have to expire at the end of the monthly period for which she pays her rent.

If she did not give you this notice then you would have the option of suing her for the rent that you would have received during the one month’s notice period that she should have given you.

So, if she pays her rent on the 5th of the month then her notice should be one month long and expire on 4th of the month.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.

Kind regards,

Tom