Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Is it legal to rent an apt in my name son to live in when I…

Customer Question
Is it legal for me...
Is it legal for me to rent an apt in my name for my son to live in when I will not be living there? My son will not qualify to rent the apt he would like although he has the money to pay for it. Also he plans to live with another party who would also be living in the apt.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
1/22/2016
Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Attorney replied 2 years ago
ScottyMacEsq, Attorney

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

It is legal so long as you're not trying to defraud the owner. That is, if he doesn't "qualify" because he's a felon, etc... and the landlord doesn't want to rent to felons, then to put it in your name to get around this would be fraud. But if he doesn't qualify financially, and there's nothing specifically wrong about him living there (with or without the other party) then putting it in your name would still be legal. Now there should still be full disclosure to the owner. It should be made clear as to whom is going to be living there as opposed to who is going to be on the lease. As long as everyone is honest with each other, it's certainly legal to do this.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!

ScottyMacEsq, Attorney