Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I've lived in this apartment years. My landlord only raised…

Customer Question
I've lived in this apartment...
I've lived in this apartment for twelve years. My landlord only raised my rent once ten years ago. It went from 600 to 700. In all these years the only things she fixed/replaced was the stove and the toilet. The ceiling in the back room fell down in the corner due to a falty roof. After four months she patched the roof but instead of plastering the whole she put up a piece of drop ceiling. Now someone from church gave me a trash picked recliner,unfortunately it was infested with roaches, now so is my apartment. We tried an exterminator but I still have them,so she canceled the service. She decided to replace the carpet and put lanolium in the kitchen which previously had rug. When she saw the dirt under the carpet,which was here long before I moved in. She said I live in filth and there was no excuse for it. She said she was going to raise the rent by another 100 dollors and I have to scrub the ceiling cabinets and floor,then paint all but the floor ( she would supply the paint) But if I continued to live here this was unacceptable the dirt under the wall to wall rug and the grease splatters on the cabinets in the kitchen (of which has no exsaust so when you cook the whole apartment fills with smoke and leaves grease residue on everything!) And she said the bugs were my problem not hers. I realize she has treated me well by not raising the rent but I didn't even get a cost of livingbraisbthis year from social security, I'm only 47 and I'm on disability and I don't make that much. She also said I'm not sick I just lay around all day and take pills and there is nothing wrong with me! Well the state agreed with me I got ssd on the first application, she has no idea what my health problems are and frankly I don't think they are any of her business! Oh yeah I forgot.,two weeks ago she brought up the raising of the rent and I said I can't do it, so I said when do I have to get out.,she said Nov which has been my lease date all these years, but she didn't have me sign one yet this year. Anyway the next day Rajko her husband called me and verbally mad an agreement with me that he would raise the rent by 25$ starting in April and raise it every year until it reaches 800$ then he would stop raising it. I think partly because the mortgage will be paid off by then because they only took a 15year mortgage and I moved in when they just bought it (we use to be friends!). I was told by someone that even though they haven't raised the rent in so long that they can't just raise it by 100 dollars, that's crazy! Then there is all that other stuff! I've been physically sick throwing up headache disy bedridden I'm so distraught I don't know what to do,. Can you advise me
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
1/21/2016
Lawyer: LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney replied 2 years ago
LandlordTenantAnswer

Good morning. Will her husband put this agreement in writing? Will they offer you a written lease agreement?

I just spoke with my landlords husband and he said he is going to honor the 25$ reAise. I'm still waiting for the new lease.
My tablet died the other night after entering my question ,then I couldn't get it charge.
It doesn't appear tht there is anyone here so I'm going to close the account.

Just received notice of your reply. Allow me a moment to respond

Glad he will honor the agreement and put it in writing. Can you share with me if you have additional questions o can answer as I will be happy to do so

Actually yes, is the landlord required to get rid of the roaches?
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer