Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I have lived in my apartments years now, they know I have a…

Customer Question
I have lived in my...
I have lived in my apartments for 2 years now, they know I have a dog and I have paid the pet deposit. About a year ago the managmant called and said I have a pit bull and I need to move, I went up to the office and showed the paperwork stating I have a lab mix from the pound, that satisfied them. Today I come home from work to find a eviction notice stating it has come to their attention I have a pit bull and have 3 days to leave, that I am still responsible for all the bills for the remainder of my lease but I have to move, no one had come by to verify the breed of my dog they are going off the word of a unknown source, do I have any leagal ground to stand on and say I'm not moving, my dog is not a pit bull, and that is the reason they are giving for the notice
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
1/21/2016
Lawyer: barristerinky, Attorney replied 2 years ago
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Are you under a fixed term lease or are you month to month?

.

Do you still have the paperwork showing the breed of dog?

.

.

thanks

I see your initial comments posted again... Did you not see my questions below?

.

.

.

.

thanks

I did the free trial thing and it won't let me see your response
I can see the first question my lease is a year

Ok, do you still have the paperwork for the dog?

.

thanks

I have the dog can I just take the dog up there and show them and if I do can they still evict me

Ok, since their reason is completely invalid as a reason to terminate your tenancy, if you send them a copy of your paperwork proving the dog's breed, certified mail, then that would give you proof that you had responded in good faith to resolve this.

.

If they then tried to continue with any eviction, you can defend in court with the paperwork about the breed and the judge should throw the case out.

.

.

thanks

barristerinky
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney