Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Attorney experienced in Landlord-Tenant Law.
26296561

I own a warehouse and a customer has not paid rent in six

Customer Question

I own a warehouse and a customer has not paid rent in six months. I would prefer to keep the contents - am I allowed?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** am a US licensed attorney and I will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice / legal service you should contact your local attorney.

Do you have a written lease with the customer and does your lease terms allow you to place lien on the tenant's property in case if the rent is unpaid?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I do not.

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, without a written lease or agreement that would allow to place lien or take possession of the tenant's stored items in case the tenant defaults on rent payment, the landlord would not be able to withhold or take possession of tenant's property stored in the warehouse, without proper court order, which in some cases can be obtained if a judgment for the unpaid rent is issued by the court.

I wish you the best of luck!