How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas McJD Your Own Question
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 46
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Thomas McJD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I refused to pay the rent in August and September 2015

Customer Question

I refused to pay the rent in August and September 2015 because my air conditioning had been leaking a year and a half. I gave them a letter in September stating my intentions and they never answered. They finally hired a professional a/c company to fix it as they had always relied on the "on property" maintenance men to do it. I lived with fallen ceilings, garbage pails and buckets, wet rugs, a/c noise because of no ceiling tiles for the summers of 2014 and 2015 in 110 degree weather here in Las Vegas, now we are on the 3rd property manager in a year! She is now issuing me a 5 day notice to pay or leave and wants over $4,000.00. She doesn't seem to care about the inconvenience and living conditions I suffered. I have lived in this apartment for FIFTEEN YEARS and never ran into this kind of problem and inability to communicate
with management (who are in another state and never returned my calls). How do I avoid eviction and not have to pay back rent for the time I was ignored?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice / legal service you should contact your local attorney.

I am not permitted to tell what to do in their specific situation or list all of the legal rights that might potential apply in any specific situation, as such legal advice can only be provided by your local attorney, upon review of your entire case.

I can however, provide you with a general answer, if you have a legal question for me?

Thank you.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions