How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing both landlords and tenants in residential and commercial property disputes.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I did some air conditioning work apartment complex the

Customer Question

I did some air conditioning work for a apartment complex the apartment manager was supposed to be paying me for invoices that she was given for payment but now she stopped paying what legal rights do I have to collect what she owes me
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

I am sorry to hear that you are not being paid for your work.

Mechanic's disputes are unfortunately not uncommon.

Generally, these fall into two categories:

  1. Contractor or subcontractor with a written contract can place a mechanic's lien and pursue that remedy (often giving the initial notice and/or placing the lien is sufficient leverage to get paid):
  2. Contractor or subcontractor without a written contract (or with a written contract, but for some reason fall outside of the lien laws), who must file a civil "breach of contract" action against the property owner in order to be paid. (If the amount outstanding is less than $10,000.00 you can do this quickly and easily in small claims court:
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Short of filing a lawsuit, you can try to mediate the dispute with them - contact your local bar association and request referrals to mediators, a third party neutral can often help you reach a mutually agreeable resolution. Use the bar association's referrals to contact a mediator or two, the mediator will then contact the other party to set up a mediation session, and you can go from there - hopefully resulting in a formal or written settlement agreement, and save yourself the time and expense of litigation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was with the apartment manager that I was doing the work for their was no contract bur I do have the invoices she was paying me and she makes all kinds of promises that she is going to pay the invocie and she don't can I send her a letter stating that if she don't pay that I will contact the owners of the apartment for payment
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

You can sue the apartment owner (remember, she is their "agent" - makes decisions regarding the apartment complex on their behalf). You can send them a demand letter.

(Again, if you are suing for less than $10k, use the small claims site - they have forms and even a demand letter template you can use).