How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 34042
Experience:  Attorney with 30 years of experience representing landlords and tenants.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a contractor. We did a job landlord tenant situation.

Customer Question

Hi there, I am a contractor. We did a job for a landlord tenant situation. the landlord agreed to pay us 703.00 for replacement of both of his heat ex changers. The install was done roughly two weeks ago, and we have left him over 15 messages, but he has now blocked our number. He has come up with every excuse why he cannot provide us with a payment. what legal action can i take against this customer?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Did you have a written agreement for the job?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The land lord had been out of town since the first time he called in. so I don't have anything signed by the landlord himself
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

You have a couple of options. First, you can file a mechanic's lien on the property to force payment.

Your second option is to sue in small claims court. Small claims court is designed to be user friendly so that you can present a claim without an attorney. Also, it moves much more quickly than regular court.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I bring a policeman over to the home with the technician to retrieve my parts? I have the paperwork that matches the serial and information on the part. also paperwork showing where we purchased the parts.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

No, this is a civil matter, not a criminal one. Your choices are to lien the building or sue in small claims court.

If the homeowner allows you, though, you can remove the parts. Otherwise, you can not force your way in to repossess the equipment.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not necessarily a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Are you still online with me?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question. Thanks.