How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My tenant/roommate is stealing medication from me. Should I

Customer Question

my tenant/roommate is stealing medication from me. Should I make a police report then evict them. Unfortunately I do not have proof. I live in virginia
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You can make a police report, but of course they cannot take action against your roommate without evidence directly showing that the roommate is taking the medication. However, if you do not have a written lease for a term with the tenant/roommate, you should evict them based on your suspicion and you should give them a written 30 day notice that you are terminating the lease and want them to leave. I would not say in there why and you do not need to give any reason as to why, just say you decided it is not working out if they ask you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am the owner, she is a tenant/roommate. We have a month to month rental agree agreement. After I make police report, is there anyway I can get her to move sooner than 30 days? Would the police check finger prints on the bottles of medications she stole from me.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.
It is up to the police to determine if there is a suitable surface on the bottles to fingerprint, sometimes there just is not. You have to give a 30 day written notice I am afraid, but you need to give the notice if you want her out.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions