How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 117437
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live with my cousin question I am asking I'll pay my

Customer Question

Hi my name is***** and I live with my cousin question I am asking I'll pay my Cousin $400 a month for renting a room he says the rest of the house does not have no heat no working stove no working sink only in the bathroom that works there's no furniture in the living room but one table and I've been living there for about almost seven to eight months and he is just cleaned up the living room where I can walk around I've been asking my cousin to get the heat working the house has no furnace I am a disabled person I have an enlarged heart with COPD I collect SSI benefits my cousin says that all he has to do is rent me a room for $400 a month for and the rest of does not matter my question is as a landlord as a law and Maryland estates before you rent a room out every part of the house must be working well I rent a room out or renting a house and the rest the house does that matter my question is as a please contact me at(###) ###-####please help.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you are paying rent and the house is not habitable then you need to report this to the local building inspector, because having a house without heat or proper utilities is a violation of the building code. You would also be entitled to recover the rent you have paid for the time when the premises is not habitable.
If you need legal assistance to sue him for your money back, because you are disabled you can go get free or low cost legal assistance at the local legal aid office and they will assist you in any civil suit.
You need to report him to the local building inspector though, since they will cite him and force him to make the premises habitable.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions