How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 2982
Experience:  Litigation Attorney
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a widow and I have an apartment in my barn. I thought I

Customer Question

I am a widow and I have an apartment in my barn. I thought I was renting it to a responsible person however when he moved in I was injured. He did not pay utilities for 6 months and he did not pay any rent for 19 months. He TOLD me he was going to start working with a Veterinarian on horses out of my barn. Since I pay over $7000.00 per year for insurance, I told him no. I finally got him to pay $600.00/month rent but he pays a month behind, he has far too many horses on my property which I have asked him to reduce the numbers and now he is working with a Veterinarian out of my barn. I fear insurance issues to begin with and then I see all of the money I am going to have to spend just to put things back into some semblance of it's previous appearance. I served him an eviction notice for 30 days and he had an attorney send me a letter stating that he has a verbal agreement that he can stay here until the end of March. I don't believe in getting into legal battles with people but this man has taken advantage of me for far too long. He earns good money charging people to board their horses here and every once in a while he gives me a little bit of the money. IE: $100.00 to $150.00. A concerned horse owner contacted me because she lives out of state and he would not return her phone calls so now I check on her horse without this man knowing, so that I can at least let her know how her horse is doing. She pays him $575.00 per month and this is just one horse.
Is there somewhere that I can report this extra business with this Veterinarian before something bad happens and I lose my home?
Kind regards,
Marcie D.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

What state are you from, because if you want something to be done as soon as possible, you can evict him for unpaid rent as well as breaking the terms of the lease which is normally a 3 day eviction. If he does not move out in that time then you can proceed with eviction proceedings. You need to take care of this problem ASAP and get this person to leave. A verbal agreement to stay into March is not binding especially with unpaid rent and doing something you expressly told him he could not do (bringing in the vet). You should hire a local attorney experienced in landlord tenant and ascertain your rights.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any further questions? If not, please please positively rate my answer (there should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to my answer, a good or excellent rating would be fantastic) as that is the only way I will be compensated by the site for my work. This will not cost you anything extra and this extra step would be appreciated.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions