How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legalease Your Own Question
Legalease, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 16367
Experience:  15 yrs residential & commercial leasing experience.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Legalease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My friend is 64. s adult son, in s 30's, moved in with s

Customer Question

Customer: Hello, My friend is 64. His adult son, in his 30's, moved in with his girlfriend, also in her 30's a year and a half ago. While my friend didn't want his son to move in, after he pushed his way back into the house, he thought it would be okay for a few weeks. Now 1.5 years later his son and the girlfriend refuse to move out. They eat all food and don't pay for anything. Have no jobs. You get the picture. I suggested beginning a formal eviction. What do you think?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What other details do you need?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Landlord-Tenant Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: How long is the wait?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello there -


Yes, your friend can begin formal eviction proceedings. He needs to give the son and the girlfriend a 3 day Notice to Quit for non payment of rent. If neither of them comes up with rent money at the end of the three days, your friend can then go to the court house clerk's office and ask for the paperwork for evicting a boarder or a tenant. They will assist him in completing the forms and they will send notice of a hearing at the court (usually within a week or two) and then the court will set a firm date that they must leave the house. If they have not left by that date, your friend then can call the local Sheriff's department and have them both removed because the court order permits it.


However, if your friend does not want to do this himself, he might be better off if he can afford to have a local landlord and tenant attorney handle the eviction on his behalf and that way your friend may have some protection from being harassed during the process if there is an attorney involved. He can find such an attorney by contacting either the local county bar association or the clerks office at the local civil court in his county.


I hope that helps.


Please let me know if you have further questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating above so that I will be paid for my time assisting you. I am paid nothing unless you press a positive rating before leaving (pressing the middle button or the fourth or fifth button to the right of the middle button are positive ratings). Otherwise, JA keeps the entire payment and does not give the expert a portion. Pressing a positive rating will not cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time and give me the appropriate credit for assisting you tonight. THANK YOU VERY MUCH



Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mary,
The part that you missed is the son doesn't pay rent. Essentially my friend does not want the girlfriend and the son to keep living off of him. Even if they paid rent he doesn't want them to live there.
Also the price you quoted me was wrong. You said $18.00. When you sent me to the page to give my credit card information I needed to pay $5.00 and was then told I would be charged $29.00, that's twice as much as the price you quoted.
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello there --


I did not quote a price - the customer service department did. I am sorry you found that misleading but the deposit is only 5 dollars -- the actual fee for a lawyer to answer a question is around 30 dollars. I have nothing to do with these matters so you may want to get the situation fixed with them and request a refund.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions