Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

Is a landlord legally liable if their renter is growing pot

Customer Question
in the yard of the...
Is a landlord legally liable if their renter is growing pot in the yard of the landlord's house. The landlord lives in Washington and the house is in California.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
12/10/2015
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 1 year ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

The answer is no. The landlord is not liable for the possible criminal actions of the tenant, which includes growing marijuana. The only possible liability to the landlord would be is if the landlord is engaged with the tenant in the venture.

In addition, seeing as CA's laws on marijuana have relaxed considerably under state law, many jurisdictions within CA may not even prosecute such a matter (it also depends on the quantity of the plans).

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you, Ely! This helps my mom a lot!

You are very welcome. Good luck, and please don't forget to RATE my answer in one of top three faces and then SUBMIT – it is the only way I get credit 1 my time with you – or, please use the REPLY or SEND button to keep on chatting – I want you to be satisfied.

Ely, Counselor at Law