Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer
Experience:  Landlord-Tenant Law Expert
19305272

What right do I have as a renter? I have never been late

Customer Question

What right do I have as a renter? I have never been late with my rent since, our family moved in 3 years ago. Our garage door was broken for awhile, therefore I asked the landlord's son if they have any maintenance coverage and he told me there was none. Secondly, I did ask him if I could have his permission to go ahead and fix the garage door myself and he said, yes. So, the garage door got fixed within 3 hours. I bought the parts my self out of my own pocket then I charged him $60.00 for the labor cost ($20/hr for 3 hrs). Nonetheless, when I confronted him with the total cost of the repair he agree to pay for the parts but declined the labor charge. This is when I decided to take out the $60.00 out of the rent from my December rent. Today, I received an eviction notice to vacate the premises within 3 calender days.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

What state are you from?

Are you there?