How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask KimberlyLaw Your Own Question
KimberlyLaw, Attorney and Real Estate Broker
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 4219
Experience:  13 years of real estate experience including foreclosures, landlord tenant matters, residential sales and condo/coop matters.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
KimberlyLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm living in Connecticut I rented to a lady with 2 grown

Customer Question

Hi I'm living in Connecticut I rented to a lady with 2 grown kids and 2 grandkids. We didn't sign a lease the mother gave me a week's notice before she left. She left on the 30th of December I haven't received my keys and one of her daughter will not get her stuff out of my my house I changed one of the locks and all she keeps talking about is calling the cops and a lawsuit what can I do to get her out of my house.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am happy to assist you today.

If you have no lease then they are considered month to month tenants. If the mother gave notice that she and everyone else would vacate in 1 week, then that is sufficient for you to rely upon it. However, once the others refuse to leave, now you have a holdover tenant and you have to proceed with an eviction, if you want to do this legally.

You can't change the locks if you know that someone is still living there. If the stuff is there, then that person didn't vacate yet. That person is also fully responsible for the entire rent, and you can keep charging as long as she is there. So you should give her a key in the meantime.

Then you give her a 3 day eviction notice and prepare to file eviction in court against the daughter. Hopefully once you give her that letter, she will move out right away.

Best of luck,


Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 1 year ago.


I need to close out my questions from last week so that I get paid for my work with you.

Please go ahead and rate my answers, and note that unless you give a 4 or 5 rating the system may keep your money and I won't get paid.

Thank you and take care,


Related Landlord-Tenant Questions