How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask KimberlyLaw Your Own Question
KimberlyLaw, Attorney and Real Estate Broker
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 4219
Experience:  13 years of real estate experience including foreclosures, landlord tenant matters, residential sales and condo/coop matters.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
KimberlyLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a unlawful detainer case set. I should have all the

Customer Question

I have a unlawful detainer case set for tomorrow. I should have all the money for my back rent by the end of the week. Is there any way possible to get this continued or extended when I go to court tomorrow just so I won't be evicted before I have the money
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am happy to assist you today.

The court is not in the interest of having you kicked out of your home if you have the money to pay back rent.

I would bring with you any money that you do have, so that you can make a good faith payment. It should be in the form of a bank check or money order, not cash so there is a record. Then ask the judge for time until the end of the week. It sounds very reasonable and the judge will likely issue an order that you have to pay that by a certain date, or else you will have to go back in to court.

Pick a reasonable date. Don't push it too close, because you really do need to make that payment on time. If you need until next week then ask for that. You should be fine, but do attend the hearing and make a good faith payment now if you can.

Best of luck,


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The thing is I only have 200 to my name.. I owe 1800 in back rent I doubt the 100 I can pay today would be good enough for good faith payment... Is there anything I can do to extend the court hearing such as asking for a jury or anything like that just to extend another week. Me and my landlord are not on good terms so I doubt they will do any negotiations besides full payment of rent at that exact tome
Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 1 year ago.

As I answered above, you just pay what you can now. If that's only $100, that's ok. If you pay nothing now, the court may be less likely to work with you.

If you do that, you will extend this. You ask the court to allow you to pay, to give you more time, until next week or whatever you need. That extends it. You have to go back to court if you don't pay.

It doesn't matter if you are not on good terms with the landlord. The judge can still give you extra time. Just ask for it.


Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 1 year ago.


I need to close out my questions from last week so that I get paid for my work with you.

Please go ahead and rate my answers, and note that unless you give a 4 or 5 rating the system may keep your money and I won't get paid.

Thank you and take care,


Related Landlord-Tenant Questions