Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

I have lived in the same apartment years and need to change

Customer Question
I have lived in the...
I have lived in the same apartment for 16 years and need to change the flooring. Since i have two small children I would prefer to replace the 16 year old carpet with removable vinyl flooring at my own expense. Can I be evicted for unauthorized alterations if I do this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
12/2/2015
Lawyer: Maverick, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Maverick
Maverick, Attorney

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….

still can't see any answer

ANSWER:

First check the lease as it most probably states that no alteration can be made without the owner’s written consent. As such, yes, you are correct that a landlord can evict you for an unauthorized alteration; but since you live in a rent-controlled unit, the LL will normally object to the alteration in writing and provide you with an opportunity to cure the breach. If you fail to do so, then LL can evict.

On the issue of discrimination based on your being in a rent controlled unit: please see this link. It appears that if source of income is argued as the basis of discrimination, you may have a valid argument since the LL cannot selectively give or deny permissions. In other words, the LL would have to present a plausible non-discriminatory explanation as to why he is denying you the right to make the alterations.

Do I have to cure the breach before I move out or any time during the tenancy. My understanding is that the flooring has no value left or is used up after 10 years. Can landlord still claim damages?

If the LL comes in to do a termite inspection and sees the flooring, he could give you a three day notice to cure and then evict. So, I would not risk this. The LL can claim damages in the form of cost to remove the flooring and the depreciated value of the carpet that was removed and the cost of re-installing the carpet.

Maverick
Maverick
Maverick, Attorney