Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
16823287

I live in a stabilized apartment in New York City. I would

Customer Question

I live in a stabilized apartment in New York City. I would like my nephew to get succession rights to my apartment. Does my landlord have to put his name on my lease? Or will he automatically get secession rights if he lives with me for 2 years?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am looking into this for you now…..

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Your nephew is considered to be a "non-traditional" family member under the applicable definitins. To gain control of the apartment he must show an "emotional and financial commitment" between you and he. Courts may consider the following:

• longevity of the relationship,
  • sharing of household expenses,
  • intermingling of finances such as credit cards or bank accounts,
  • engaging in family type activities together,
  • formalizing legal obligations through such things as wills, powers of attorney, etc..,
  • holding yourself out as family members in public activities,
  • regularly performing family functions for each other.

So if you start doing these things now and documenting them, then he may qualify as a successor.