How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 37818
Experience:  I have handled Real Estate and Landlord Tenant matters for more than two decades.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I moved to a new house in June and when I went to hook up

Customer Question

I moved to a new house in June and when I went to hook up the water, I told them that I had sold my old house. They continued to charge me for the water that the new owner used and did not shut off the water. I e-mailed about the bill and they said I never shut off the water and that I had to pay it and they still refused to cancel the water because they said an e-mail was not a valid way to shut off the water. I called and they finally shut off the water but want me to pay an extra $204.00. Is there any way I can fight this?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Email is not yet recognized as legal notice for many purposes, and so the fact that the water bill was not transferred out of your name doesn't surprise me. And while technically, you do owe the bill, the new owner of your old house technically owes you the money if you have to pay the bill, so you will want to contact them to pay the bill and if they will not do so, then pay it yourself and sue them in small claims court to recover the charges that they should be paying in the first place---but for the billing irregularity.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best this holiday season,


Related Landlord-Tenant Questions