Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

I am 86 years old on Social Security. I live in Baytown

Customer Question
I am 86 years old...
I am 86 years old on Social Security. I live in Baytown Texas. My landlord told me that there is mold in my apartment and I have to move out while they are doing the work. They do not have another apartment I can use temporarily. I must move to a hotel. Is the landlord required to pay my living expenses while I am out of my apartment?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
11/21/2015
Lawyer: philip.simmons, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
philip.simmons

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

The landlord is responsible for the hotel expenses or giving a rent credit if the rental dwelling is made uninhabitable.

So the landlord is responsible to give you a credit for the amount of time you are not able to use the home.

Example, say that you pay rent of $3000/mo...that equates to $100/day. if you are out for 5 days they have to credit you $500

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

I will have more information on Monday. Can I contact you then? Also, I will be unable to prepare meals and will have to eat out. Are they responsible for that as well?

There is no charge for follow on questions. And I will be available Monday, so happy to respond. However, I do request you rate / accept this now as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

And they are required to pay the cost for the loss of the apartment. No more than that. So the daily rate times the number of days you are not able to use the home.

philip.simmons
philip.simmons
philip.simmons, Lawyer