How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael Lykken, Esq Your Own Question
Michael Lykken, Esq
Michael Lykken, Esq,
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 103
Experience:  Partner at Soares & Lykken, Attorneys at Law
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Michael Lykken, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I manage a small automotive center. One of my tenants is a

Customer Question

I manage a small automotive center. One of my tenants is a national oil change/lube company (Meineke). They have a lease until Oct 12, 2017. Their Franchisee vacated the property on June 1, 2015 and the space has been vacant ever since. Although Meineke
Corporate has regularly been paying for the leased space I would like for them to rent the vacant site since I have had to deal with graffiti and general vandalism that goes with a closed building. Attached is the lease and the lease extension (Sorry, I cannot
find a way to attach the lease and extension). I would like to know if it is possible to force Meineke to either put a new Franchisee in the building or buy me out of the lease. Thank you,
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Michael Lykken, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a licensed California attorney. It isn't clear from the question which state you are located in, so please let me know where you are. Given that, there should be a clause in the lease that requires an ongoing business to be located there. I would check your lease to see if there is any language regarding the the closing of the business.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for your prompt response. I am in San Diego, CA and that is where the business is located. Unfortunately I was not able to attach the lease because your site told me that the file is too big.
Expert:  Michael Lykken, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I would be happy to review the lease for you. If you can let me know the number of pages in the lease, I can figure out the cost to do that and then propose the additional service to you.

Expert:  Michael Lykken, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hello, please let me know if I can be of any more help to you. If you would like me to review your lease for you I have offered the additional service. Otherwise, I only receive credit for my response if you rate my service. If you could do this I would appreciate it. Thank you!