Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.
10285032

I am 65 years old, on Soc Sec disability. I have rented

Customer Question

I am 65 years old, on Soc Sec disability. I have rented for 8 continuously years in the same house, on Section 8. Eight years later there is a housing shortage and limited funding for Section 8 renters. In 19 MONTHS I have not found even 1 listing for
Section 8 and I only make $900.00/month. My landlord has given me extension after extension but sent me a Notice of Termination of Tenancy and must be out on December 31st. I CANNOT find any Section 8 rentals and am n fear of being in the street at my age.
Technical issue needs to be addressed: My contract was written for 1,200/month, 8 years ago. I know landlords so I added $50 extra through Advantage Properties (acting landlords) and we signed it for $50 extra (to cover ANY UTILITIES)[email protected],250.. Several years
ago she started billing me out of pocket utilities that were NEVER RE-WRITTEN IN A NEW CONTRACT. I was told this was illegal to charge renter ABOVE the stated rent. I want to know what will happen to me if I do not have a place to move December 31st. She is
FORCING ME TO MOVE AND LOOSE MY VOUCHER WHICH IS THE ONLY WAY I CAN PAY RENT. The epidemic situation for renters is well known in Santa Cruz county.....simply, there are no Section 8 rentals - NOR ARE THERE AFFORDABLE JUST REGULAR RENTS FOR ME. I only make
$900.00/month. What are my legal rights with all these conditions - especially charging me utilities out of pocket. Is that a breach of contract. PLEASE HELP! Escha Prokl
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

She cannot charge you extra for utilities unless your lease states that she can do so. If the lease said that the extra $50 was for utilities, then you have up to 4 years from the breach of contract to sue for that breach and seek to recover the money she is seeking.

Furthermore, you can notify Section 8 as well to inform them of the issue because the landlords have to comply with their HUD rules and charging you above the lease is a violation.

So you would have to file suit in court and the HUD complaint to stop her from forcing you out by eviction.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't want to pay for every question. - I paid for details and this is somewhat vague. May other questions be asked on exsisting $43.00 account?
If I showed in court cashed checks for additional utilities even though a few months ago we made a NEW CONTRACT AND ADDED ANOTHER $35.00 FOR UTILITIES is she still in breach of contract for all the utilities I paid out these last few years?
Thank you for your reply.
I am afraid you are mistaken and taking that out on the expert who is not an employee of this site. You are not being charged for every reply, you were charged one time and until we are done answering your questions and you leave positive feedback, the expert gets nothing for time spent with you. Since you have never left positive feedback for any expert who has worked with you, none of them have ever received credit for time spent with you.
It was vague because your post was vague and did not pose specific questions. If you have specific questions, please ask them and I will be more than happy to answer them based on information you provide.