How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 29981
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Back rent months plus late fees in PRESTON iD, i HAVE A

Customer Question

back rent for Several months plus late fees in PRESTON iD, i HAVE A CONTRACT SHE SIGHND FOR $3000 PLUS LATE FEES hOW DO i START
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

The first step is to serve the tenant with a written three-day notice to pay the total amount owed or vacate within three days. The notice can be hand-delivered to the tenant or posted on the door AND placed in the mail via first-class mail, postage prepaid. Notice would be complete after it's mailed.

If the tenant does not produce the money or leave, the next step is to go to court and file a Complaint for Eviction. The local sheriff's department will serve the notice and summons on the tenant for a small fee (you cannot serve the court papers yourself), or you can ask anyone you know over the age of 18 to do hand deliver the papers for you. The local court should have forms you can fill out to do this, but you may want to call and confirm before you go in. Some counties put the forms online so you can fill them out and print them. The clerk of the court will give you a trial date when you file the papers. If the tenant does not pay before that trial date, you will get a judgment.

Once you have a judgment, if the tenant still does not leave, you can have a sheriff forcibly remove her and all of her belongings from the premises. At that point, you'll be allowed to change the locks. And you'll be able to use the judgment to try to collect the money she owes you at that point.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. If I did not address the specific thing that you wanted to know, it may not have come across clearly to me, so please restate that question. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions