How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 29974
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in CA. I own home. Boyfriend moved in Jan. 2013. He

Customer Question

Hi. I live in CA. I own home. Boyfriend moved in Jan. 2013. He owes past due rent over 7,000.00. He has found a new GF, and is house hopping. He has not given notice to move. He has not removed all of his possessions. He has not been here since Nov. 5th.
He is the only person who live in my home who pays rent (my minor children live with me 50%).
Questions are:
1. Serve 3 day notice to pay or quit or, 7 day notice to vacate (he is supposed to pay his rent weekly)?
2. Best way to collect past due rent; 3day/UD or sm claims?
3. I have spoken to him and requested he come remove his belongings. He never shows up. should I serve a notice of abandonment with the 3 day notice so I can legally remove and store his possessions?
If I serve 3 day pay or quit, I am not certain about the language stating "premises in possession" or is this wording proper even if they do not have 100% possession?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

1. If you serve a 3 day notice to pay or quit, and he actually pays you, you have to let him stay. But you could turn around and serve him with a 7 day notice the next day, so it's really up to you. If you want him out ASAP and don't think he'll pay $7,000 to stay, it may be to your benefit to serve the 3 day notice.

2. After he moves out, you can sue for the unpaid rent and get a judgment against him. If he has a job, you'll be able to use that judgment to garnish his wages until he's paid in full. You can also report the judgment to the credit bureaus, which might encourage him to pay faster if he's worried about his credit rating. A judgment can also be used to be a lien on money in a person's bank accounts.

3. You're allowed to serve a notice of abandonment at the same time as a 3 day notice. If you serve a 3 day notice and he doesn't leave, then you can go to court and get an eviction order (plus a judgment). If he still doesn't leave, a sheriff will come to your house and place his belongings in the street. If you serve a notice of abandonment, he has 18 days to reclaim his stuff. Given the practicalities of the court system, chances are that the 18th day to reclaim his items would occur around the same time as a hearing on the eviction (assuming he doesn't pay). So it's up to you if you want to try it. Note, though, that if you go with an abandonment notice and he doesn't reclaim his stuff, you'll have to hold an auction if it's worth more than $300. This site has some good information on that.

4. The phrase "premises in possession" is fine even if he only has part of the property. You can add other language if you want to try to clarify it, though.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions