How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 116711
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This is a question on subside housing, i been living here

Customer Question

hi! this is a question on subside housing, i been living here now for 5 years and 3 months, i have health issues, r/a and diabetics i take alot of meds, 14 pills and 5 shots aday. i live off of a ssi check of 820.00 a month. this complex is under hud of new york, about a 11/2 year ago it was owe by hutchens and he pass away, new owners took over, all new rules, well on nov.5,2015 (thursday) i got a call at 9:02 am that the general manger and the complex manager will be coming over to inspect the apartment between 1:00 and 4:00 pm. so i cleaned up alittle, but i was cleaning slowly my clothes and getting them together to give away so it was messy in the bedroom but everything else is clean, so we sat and talk about what has to done, and then the issue came up about smoking and its my duty to wash or paint the walls, this is a smoking complex and i do smoke. well after that i got a letter that they give me til clean up by nov.23,2015 and they will be here at 10:30 to reinspect, and if it not done the will ? eviction proceedings. my hands and feet are sore & i'am not surposal lift more 12lbs. and i do not have the money to pay for painting or cleaning, she told that why you have family to help, my daughter lives in tuson and son is active guard and state trooper, his station is in arlbeon near rochester he not hear, what to do!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You need to start by notifying HUD that the landlord is trying to evict you so that they can rent to someone new and raise the rent. Second, you need to contact some of the local community groups in your area (churches, senior centers and disabled centers) to see if you can get some assistance in cleaning up, since the landlord looks like he is going to engage in unfair practices to remove you.
Third, you need to write a letter to the landlord asking for the additional time you believe you need to get everything in order the way he wants it to be and tell him you are asking for accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Fair Housing Act to get more time to accomplish his request. Ask for enough time so you know you can get it done in the event you cannot get assistance from one of the community groups.
Finally, if he refuses to give you more time, you need to go to the legal aid office to seek assistance in filing suit against him for violating your rights under the ADA and FHA and refusing to accommodate your needs based on your disability and for trying to violate the subsidized housing and HUD rules.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions