Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

My friend receives mail at my address, Section 8 apt;

Customer Question
however, he is not on...
My friend receives mail at my address, Section 8 apt; however, he is not on my lease. Now I have received a notice of termination hearing because they say he lives here. He does not live with me. What do I need to take to hearing? He does visit a lot (boyfriend); of course, he sleeps over sometimes. But never stay more than a couple of nights..
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
10/28/2015
Lawyer: Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law replied 2 years ago
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Can you explain as to why your boyfriend uses your address as his own?

because he lives in a basement apt and the mail area is not secure. He does have a post office box; however, things like his bank statement and driver's license, etc. comes here.
r u there

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, if someone uses an address at a section 8 residence and then also periodically stays overnight, such person would be considered a resident, which violates the terms of the section 8 and generally the program would terminate, unless, it can be proved by clear evidence that this other person used the address without authorization and / or has another place of legal residence.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!

he does have another legal address..

Thank you for your follow up.

What evidence of other legal residence does he have?

What evidence that he does not live with you do you have?

Did you hire an experienced local public assistance / public housing law attorney to represent you at your termination hearing?

I have no evidence that he does not live with me. He has a apartment lease. I came to JustAnswer first...

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, this is a serious matter and generally, people who receive section 8 are prohibited from having overnight guests, especially, if such guests stay overnight on a regular basis and if such guest claims the address of section 8 apartment as his residential address, that would create legal basis for terminating section 8.

So, generally, any evidence that can prove the fact that the person who is receiving mail does not reside at the apartment , as well as, change of address, so no further mail would be received can be brought to the hearing and also it would be a good idea to hire an experienced local housing law attorney to help represent you at the final termination hearing, since if the section 8 is terminated, it would be close to impossible to reinstate it.

I wish you the best of luck!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?

If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.

Thank you.

Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law