How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask barristerinky Your Own Question
barristerinky, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 37848
Experience:  Attorney over 16 years, landlord 26 years
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
barristerinky is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a vebal agreement to rent to a Woman ,I basically

Customer Question

I have a vebal agreement to rent to a Woman ,I basically helped her from being homeless. She seems to have mental problems, and has become increaseling un cooperative and demanding,Plus lieing and stealing ,Digging up my yard for days at a time and not listening when I ask her to not destoy my property, and often pays rent late or not at all.How can I evict her
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.


If this is a verbal tenancy agreement, then it would be considered a month to month rental under MN law and either party could terminate the tenancy with a 30 day written notice to vacate. Then if she didn't move out, you can pursue a formal eviction action through the courts in order to get an eviction judgment and a writ of possession that the sheriff will execute to physically remove her from the property. This takes about 3 weeks after the 30 day notice expires depending on the court's and sheriff's schedules.


As for damages, if she is damaging your property, you can sue her in small claims court for any damages that she has caused to the property if you wanted to pursue the matter.