How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  Licensed in multiple jurisdictions. Experienced Landlord-Tenant attorney.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I've sublet an apartment from a tenant in Raritan, NJ

Customer Question

i've sublet an apartment from a tenant in Raritan, NJ without a contract and shared the 2nd floor of a house with her. This is one other rental unit in building. On first floor there
is a catering business. The landlord does not reside at this address.
I made out my deposit and first monthly check to the landlord who cashed it. Second
check for October was made out to tenant. Tenant decided to change locks so i
could not get back in after having an argument.
Do the NJ eviction laws protect me in same way protection is given to
tenants ie warning must be given first, then special paperwork served by rep
from court if a violation. In my case there were no lease or violations as per
the categories in this evication law for NJ renter eviction found on line. the person
also still has my possessions and had caused me to live in a hotel, She has not
returned my deposit that was made out to the actual landord a month ago nor
the 1/2 month rent based on her locking me out Sunday 10/17
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I am a licensed New Jersey professional and will be happy to assist you with your concerns.

NJ eviction laws protect you the same as if you had a direct contract with the landlord. No landlord, or sub-landlord can utilize 'self-help' to evict you. Examples of barred activities include changing the locks, barring access or entry, re-entering without permission, cutting off utilities, or removing your personal belongings as a means of convincing you to move out. You are entitled to written notice from your landlord (in this case the other tenant) who cannot lock you out. Therefore you can re-enter--you can contact the sheriff to come with you to premises and watch you re-enter, and you can sue the tenant for damages stemming from her locking you out.


Dimitry, Esq.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions