How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MDLawyer Your Own Question
MDLawyer, Lawyer
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 6135
Experience:  10 years in legal practice. Over 5 years in advising clients on landlord/tenant issues, including on a pro bono basis.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
MDLawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a senior citizen and have a lease at an apartment

Customer Question

I am a senior citizen and have a lease at an apartment complex with a young unmarried and unrelated couple who have not paid the rent in the last two months, nor have they help to pay the utilities. What are my responsibilities and how do I sever this relationship and evict them?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  MDLawyer replied 1 year ago.

When you say you have a lease with them, are you saying that the three are you are roommates or are you saying that you are the landlord and they are your tenants? Also, in what state is this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are roommates
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you going to answer?
Expert:  MDLawyer replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I will provide you with an answer. I only received the email informing me of your reply less than 2 minutes ago. I need to also know in what state you are in order that I may properly answer your question. I also need to know if all three are you are on the lease.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we are in Virginia and I signed a lease and the couple signed a lease for the same apartment
Expert:  MDLawyer replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the additional information. If all three of you are on the lease as co-tenants, there are a couple of options for getting them to leave. The first and easiest option is speaking with them and trying to get them to move out on their own. The other option, since they are on the lease, is to get the landlord to begin eviction proceedings. Since you are not the landlord, you cannot bring eviction proceedings. You can sue them for rent owed if you paid their part of the rent but you cannot evict them on your own. It must be the landlord who begins that process.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you!
Expert:  MDLawyer replied 1 year ago.

You are most welcome. Please let me know if you need any further assistance and I'd be more than happy to help. If you are not in need of any additional information at this time, please be so kind as to leave a positive rating as that is the only way that we experts get credited for the time spent assisting you since we are not Just Answer employees.

Expert:  MDLawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. I've been told that the website has been glitchy and noticed you hadn't left a rating. Please let me know whether you are having problems leaving a rating.Thank you so much and hope all is well.

Expert:  MDLawyer replied 1 year ago.


Related Landlord-Tenant Questions