barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney over 16 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

I have a month to month rental with a tenant renting a small

Customer Question

I have a month to month rental with a tenant renting a small accessory unit in my home. She is leaving and has given me a 14 day notice. Can I keep half of the deposit for such short notice? My understanding with her was a 30 day notice would be acceptable. Please advis.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

Can you tell me what state this is in?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vermont

Ok, then the tenant has to give at least a 30 day notice to terminate the tenancy or you can hold them liable for at least one more month's rent due to the improper notice.

.

So if they have paid up until the end of the month and gave you notice mid way through, you can hold them liable for another 15 days rent due to their improper notice and deduct it from the deposit. Just make sure you send them an itemized list of deductions within 14 days of them moving out and returning the keys..

.

.

thanks