Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Experience:  Litigation Attorney
84496330

Rented a one family house to a tenant in Congers, NY. Lease

Customer Question

Rented a one family house to a tenant in Congers, NY. Lease started on 9/01/2013 . Have a written lease agreement that expired on 9/30/2015. Tenant did not pay October 2015 rent. Tenant violate the lease and damaged the house, including removal of and damage of smoke and carbon monoxide alarms. Then called Health department and complained. Health Department wrote the violations against landlord, which are solely responsibility of the tenant as per the lease.
Health Department send the violations to landlord and I received that on 10/17/2015 with re inspection date of 10/23/2015. Tenant has an eviction hearing on 10/29/2015.
1. Tenant has to give access to Landlord to correct the violations. Tenant not responded to text asking access.
2.What shall I have to do next?. I will not renew the lease and the tenant must vacate, because he is a scam-er. He owes me $10,000 when he broke a contract in NJ and legal notices were served on him. He is a contractor.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Is rent control involved?

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

Tenants have the right to privacy within their apartments. A landlord, however, may enter a tenant’s apartment with reasonable prior notice, and at a reasonable time: (a) to provide necessary or agreed upon repairs or services; (b) in accordance with the lease; or (c) to show the apartment to prospective purchasers or tenants. I would document and send certified mail, a notice to enter the property and possibly purchase replacement smoke alarms, etc. for your own protection. There is not much else you can do minus documentation showing you are trying to comply and the tenant is not allowing you to do so. You can also send notice of a time you will be there and show up that time without confirmation. I would not enter the apartment of the tenant without consent but I would document the scheduling and the visit (video the attempt as well). This is the most you can do for your protection and any Judge will take this type of evidence and documentation very well.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site. (There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to my answer, an excellent or good rating would be fantastic.)

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions? If not, please positively rate my answer if satisfied.

Any chance for a positive rating?