Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed in multiple jurisdictions. Experienced Landlord-Tenant attorney.
18572087

My lease was up on 9/30/2015. I like in Katy, Texas. We been

Customer Question

My lease was up on 9/30/2015. I like in Katy, Texas. We been late with our rent for the last three months. On 9/15/2015 we made a agree with the landlord to catch up our rent
by OCT 15,2015. We paid September rent as promise and was prepared to pay Oct rent on the 15th. On Oct 7th we get a vacate notice from the landlord asking us to vacate by the 15th of OCT. I not prepared to move out until Oct 30th as my new place will not be ready til then. However the landlord still wants me out by Monday. Am I correct that a eviction notice will have to be file for her to force me to move out?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

That is correct, she would still need to evict you via the courts. The notice she gave you is just the first step and places you on notice that you are at risk for being evicted, but to get you actually evicted she would need to take you to court. This is the obligation for all residential leases, as the landlord cannot personally evict you, use 'self-help', or bar entry to the property.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.