Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

I have a lease that was signed in Quebec mos in September

Customer Question
I have a lease that...
I have a lease that was signed in Quebec for 10 mos in September 2010. I have given notice on October 1, 2015 that I will be vacating the premise on Feb.28, 2016. I am leaving the province to move to Alberta to join my family. My landlord came back and said I am obliged to pay rent until the the end of June.
When I signed the lease back in 2010, I was new to the province. My landlord never informed me that the lease was automatically renewed.
In reading my lease prior to sending notice, the fact that a new lease was signed ...to me...indicated that my lease was of indeterminate term. In which case I presented him with what I thought was the proper notice,
I have verified that was he has written is indeed the truth .
What is my recourse ?
Marika xxxxx
As he never indicated anything to me
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
10/7/2015
Lawyer: retireddebra,
 replied 2 years ago
retireddebra

I am not quite following.

Did you sign a new lease each year?

If so was the last one that you signed for a full year?And does it end in June?

I never signed a lease after the first lease
Lawyer: retireddebra,
 replied 2 years ago

So where does he get the idea that it ends in June?

It appears that you are not familiar with Quebec lease laws
I will connect withy Canadian lawyer . Thank uou
Lawyer: retireddebra,
 replied 2 years ago

I am a Canadian lawyer but I am not in Quebec. There are no active experts from Quebec on the site right now so I was trying to help you out. I know the laws are different in Quebec than in the rest of Canada.

I can opt out if you like.

No thank you
retireddebra
retireddebra
retireddebra