Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Experience representing landlords and tenants.
11313492

My landlord upped my rent and demanded a new deposit without

Customer Question

my landlord upped my rent and demanded a new deposit without warning. when i couldn't pay the 1500 in 4 days he had me evicted. because of the lack of help moving and persistent bad health i didn't get all my things out by the time he changed the locks. when i asked the next day if i could get my things he lied and said he'd already thrown it out, but it was all still there. i live in salina kansas and the renters book says he has to keep it for 30 days. its the law. but none of the authorities seem to care. i don't know what to do. he threw away all my kids photos, and his employee is selling my things on buy sell trade! please point in the right direction...
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

Legally, landlord has to hold your items and allow you to recover them. You can pursue the items back or their value if thrown out plus costs, interest and legal fees. You can sue, and may also see if police will escort you to recover items still in landlord possession.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if I can clarify anything, and if that is acceptable.