How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 2983
Experience:  Litigation Attorney
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What is the best way to go about getting out of our lease.

Customer Question

What is the best way to go about getting out of our lease. Long story short maintinance man extorted her for cash to open the door she accidentley locked and now she just cant handle it here. And could that be considered personal injury ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 2 years ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

Unless you have a termination clause you have to keep your lease and pay rent according to that lease unless you find a suitable tenant to replace yourself. The landlord cannot "double dip" and charge you rent if they have another tenant paying rent as well. You can also explain your problem to the landlord and the landlord can also let you out of the lease. To answer your question, you can't get out of the lease in this situation in this circumstance without consequences.

As to the personal injury, it sounds as if the landlord was charging you like a locksmith, this is not personal injury without more evidence. This would be a stretch and a very hard argument to make.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated by the site for my time. (There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to my answer, an excellent or good rating would be fantastic. )

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 2 years ago.

I see you have reviewed my answer, do you have any further questions? If not, please positively rate my answer if satisfied.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 2 years ago.

Any chance for a positive rating?