barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney over 16 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

I have a landlord that hates me. I pay my rent on time and

Customer Question

I have a landlord that hates me. I pay my rent on time and have the apartment in flawless condition. They know I have an alarm and still continue to enter knowing the alarm will go off. My parents also live in the same complex as I. Every time the alarm goes off the police is called and i have to pay 155 dollars for a false alarm. This evening we got into huge confrontation, because I found her to be yelling at me and extremely intimidating. I called the police and she did too.The police just gave us a case number ***** went on their way. I am also holding my brother in laws cat since she is pregnent. Can this mean, overbearing landlord evict me?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

What is the reason that the landlord keeps entering your apartment?

.

Are they providing notice to you in advance of doing so?

.

Are you under a written lease for a set term or are you month to month?

.

How long have you lived there?

.

Is there any rule against having cats on the premises?

.

,

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

I am sorry, but I can’t engage in a private one on one phone call as that could imply an attorney-client relationship which I am prohibited from entering into under my independent contractor agreement with JustAnswer.

.

But I am more than happy to work with you to answer your question here on JustAnswer's public website..

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please answer my question via email

Ok, I don't have any way of emailing customers as I can only interact with them on the Just Answer website..

.

If you can provide the information I asked about, I can help.

.

.

.

.

How long have you lived there?

.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
did you not get all that I wrote. They say they are entering for maintenance . My ADT alarm get activated and the police are called. They didn't even tell me they had entered even after the police was called. I did not know till my neighbor told me that they had gone in based on a letter that was sent out 48 hours before which I never got. Why I am repeating myself. I already explained all this to you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The police comes under false alarm and I am given a fine for $155 dollars. They have entered in the past year over 5 times. Also the cats are not mine and I am only watching them for my brothers wife since she was pregnant. They are coming to get them on 10/13.PLEASE HELP ME. PLEASE STOP HAVING ME REPEATING MYSELF. Its been a hard day with the confrontation her and I had . The way she spoke to me I started crying. It was awful. How can a manager speak to their tenant in that way.

Ok, I haven't seen any other information other than what you initially posted and your last two posts... I apologize but sometimes the website is a bit buggy and things don't come through..

.

With that said, if you aren't requesting that they come for maintenance, then under CA law they have to notify you in writing at least 24 hours in advance of any entry into the apartment. If they aren't doing so, then they are violating the law and your rights to privacy and "exclusive use and possession" of the property. So you can send them a written notice stating that if they enter again without at least 24 hours notice as required under CA Civil Code 1954, you will sue them for damages.

.

Further, if they are entering without notice and causing you damages, (i.e. the $155 per entry) then you would have grounds to sue them in small claims court for them to reimburse you for those costs.

.

And if they tried to evict you after you filed the complaint with the police or sent them the notice about not entering, this would be considered retaliation, which is also illegal under CA Civil Code 1942.51, and would give you yet another ground to sue them for damages.

.

.

thanks