LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have handled Real Estate and Landlord Tenant matters for more than two decades.
15277592

I live in an apartment in San Rafael, CA. My upstairs

Customer Question

I live in an apartment in San Rafael, CA. My upstairs neighbor has termites and the landlord wants to do an intense heat treatment to resolve the problem. They are asking me to pack up and move my electronics, photos, art work, cosmetics, etc into the hallway while this is being done. The building I live in has security cameras that don't record and I feel very uncomfortable leaving my belongings out in the public hallway all day while I'm at work. Can my landlord make me do this? Do they need to provide me with a secure area to store my belongings for the day? Do I have to participate in this? Also, they want to do it tomorrow morning at 9am
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

As a practical matter, your landlord cannot force you to relocate all of your expensive possessions into a hallway---that is simply preposterous. But I presume that you have known about this for some time and your landlord has likely already committed to have the company out in the morning.

You don't say how long you have known about this but if the landlord is requiring that things be relocated from your unit then it is up to your landlord to arrange to have them relocated and placed in a safe place.

Given that this is really a 11th hour issue you have raised here, and there is little time to do anything constructive, I am going to suggest that you agree to a call from me so that we can discuss this in greater detail and perhaps fashion a remedy for your to pursue.

If you are interested, for a nominal charge I can offer you a phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread. I will make that offer to you after I get this posted to your question thread. All you need do is accept the offer if you would like me to call. Let me know if you don't want a call and I can continue here with an answer.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug