How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 56477
Experience:  Experience representing landlords and tenants.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an apartment that I rent without a lease, I prefer to

Customer Question

I have an apartment that I rent without a lease, I prefer to rent monthly.
Currently, my tenant has been here 2 years. I am looking for her to vacate the apartment, due to a family member that needs it.
My question pertains to a Notice to Quit seems that they refer to a lease and not a tenant at will...I live in Massachusetts.
What form would I need to use or would I just type the form and exclude the word lease and fill in tenant at will?...Thank you, Judi
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.


Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

If there is no rent owing, you would issue a 30 day notice ending the tenancy. You would then file for eviction should tenant not vacate. On a month to month 30 day notice ends the tenancy and also has no defense. Of course the parties could negotiate for shorter, longer term, and agree on a vacate date.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions