Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

If a tenant who is renting out a room wants to leave the

Customer Question
part in a month to...
If a tenant who is renting out a room wants to leave the part in a month to month verbal lease, should he/she provide a 30 day written letter about intent to vacate or verbal confirmation is enough?Can a tenant leave anytime or should a notice be given?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
9/27/2015
Lawyer: rayanswers, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
rayanswers
rayanswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.The tenant here is required to give 30 day written notice( one month). This meets his/her legal requirements to terminate the month to month tenancy.Notice should be given here in writing to avoid landlord claiming the security deposit here based on improper notice.

As long as tenant gives 30 days written notice that meets the requirements of a month to month tenant.It gives proper legal notice of intent to end the month to month tenancy once delivered to landlord.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

If less than 30 days written notice is given here landlord can apply security deposit to the 30 days of rent still remaining.

I did not give a written notice , I verbally told on the start of the month . Also there is no lease that has been signed , it is just a verbal agreement, so can the landlord ask me to pay an extra month of rent since I did not give a written statement

You should try to give written confirmation here reflecting that you are confirming that you gave notice back on September...that you would be leaving on the ....and that this confirms your required monthly notice.You should have given written notice but here try to spin it the best you can since you gave it orally here.

Thanks again for the chance to follow up.

rayanswers
rayanswers
rayanswers, Lawyer