KimberlyLaw
KimberlyLaw, Attorney and Real Estate Broker
Experience:  13 years of real estate experience including foreclosures, landlord tenant matters, residential sales and condo/coop matters.
8989662

I live in Delaware. The apartment building I live in had 1

Customer Question

I live in Delaware. The apartment building I live in had 1 apartment with a bed bug infestation and I live on the 3rd floor. I was never notified of the situation and then found 2 bed bugs in my bed. Under Delaware law, what is the landlord's obligations to notify other tenants in the building?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am happy to assist you today.

I don't think there is a law that specifically states what you are looking for. However, I do still think you have a solid case. The landlord does have the obligation to take care of any bug infestations in the building. It makes sense that if there are bed bugs in one apartment, you should treat all apartments in the building at the same time, to ensure that they don't just travel to a neighboring apartment. You can certainly argue that this was negligence.

Be sure to ask for damages for anything you lost resulting from this, including staying in a hotel, loss of income from staying home to deal with this, or whatever you have endured.

Best of luck,
Kim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
KIMBERLYLAW,THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY. I APPRECIATE YOU TAKING TIME TO PROVIDE ME WITH THE MUCH-NEEDED GUIDANCE. HAVE A PLEASANT DAY.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I NEVER HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO RATE KIMBERLYLAW, SO I'D LIKE TO PROIVIDE FEEBACK. I AM VERY PLEASED WITH THE RESPONSE I RECEIVED AND WOULD USE YOUR SERVICES AGAIN IF NEED BY. THE LAWYER WHO RESPONDED WAS VERY KIND AND TO THE POINT. SO, PLEASE LET HER KNOW HOW PLEASED I AM WITH HER RESPONSE, SINCE I FELT THAT THEY WHOLE BUILDING SHOULD BE DONE AND SHE CONFIRMED THAT, PLUS GAVE ME ADDITIONAL COSTS I CAN TRY TO RECOVER DUE TO THE LANDLORD'S NEGLIGENCE.MAUREEN J. BOLAND