barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney over 16 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

I am wanting a early terminantion of my lease. The lease

Customer Question

i am wanting a early terminantion of my lease. The lease states i am obligated to pay an early termination fee of $1,930.00 (two months rent) they also want another two months rent based on notice given two months in advance.
two questions
1. shouldnt the termination just let me out of contract?
they also, want me to continue paying cable and trash , but i wont be living there???
this is for the state of utah
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

Is this a house or an apartment complex?

.

Is it a pretty busy area?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is a large apartment complex. I am buying a house and can not afford two homes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Ok, to be honest, 4 months rent seems awfully steep as a termination option to release you from the lease. If you were to simply break the lease, move out and turn in your keys, then the landlord has a legal duty to mitigate his damages by trying to re-rent as soon as possible and can only hold you liable for any lost rent until he does so.

.

So if the place is busy and has a lot of traffic, it is likely that they would re-rent in less than 4 months and you would end up better off financially by simply breaking the lease rather than negotiating a release.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
plz call

I am sorry, but I can’t engage in a private one on one phone call as that could imply an attorney-client relationship which I am prohibited from entering into under my independent contractor agreement with JustAnswer.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if i do pay the early termination fees can i still be charged for cable and trash fees that i will not be using?

If they are already included in the lease payments, then yes you can be charged for them. But if you have them in your name separately, then you can simply turn disconnect/stop the services as wouldn't be using those services. If the landlord wants cable and trash on for an empty dwelling, let him turn them on in his name..

.

.

thanks