barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney over 16 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

I have been living in a rentalroperty without a lease yrs.

Customer Question

I have been living in a rentalroperty without a lease for 4 yrs. financial hardships the last 4 yrs I owe the landlord a substantial sue of money. I recently told him I cannot continue to rent like this and told him I'd return the property to him by Weds to rent to someone else. My question can he still hold me liable for the back rent and expenses
Even though I returned his property and he is keeping the security deposit.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

If you have agreed with the landlord to pay him rent, and you haven't done so, then he can pursue you for breach of contract for any amounts that the security deposit doesn't cover. The fact that you are voluntarily moving out wouldn't somehow erase the debt that has accrued unless you get something in writing from the landlord stating that he is wiping the slate clean.

.

But if your security deposit covers any delinquent rent, damages, and cleaning costs, then he wouldn't be able to pursue you for anything else.

.

.

thanks