How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 30167
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Rented an apartment and signed lease from September 2015 to

Customer Question

Rented an apartment and signed lease from September 2015 to June 2015; paid 1st month, last month and deposit. There was a verbal agreement to move in on August 15th and to pay the half month rent. However, when we moved in the apartment was in deplorable condtion with no refrigerator, shower was not working, bathroom tub was not draianing and the apartment had gas smell and it took more than a week to repair the gas smell. Anyway, in this confusion we failed to pay the half month rentl; they did not ask and did not remind us. Now they have sent an eviction noticem=, but we are ready to pay the rent in spite of apartment was not in moveable condition untill the end of August;
Can the landlord force an eviction without giving aa oppertunity to pay the half month rent?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

They're required to send a notice to pay or quit before they can go to court and file a lawsuit. An eviction notice is usually a notice to pay or leave within a stated time frame, which satisfies the legal requirements. As long as you pay the half month's rent they're asking for, they cannot actually evict you.

If they went ahead and filed in court, then you could move to dismiss due to the failure to post a notice first, but you could also just pay and ask the judge to dismiss the case because you no longer owe the money. When a case is filed in court, you get a Summon and Complaint, with a case number ***** it, and it's hand-delivered by someone other than the landlord.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.