barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney over 16 years, landlord 26 years
19958803

I am a landlord of only 1 home in Indiana. I did not renew

Customer Question

i am a landlord of only 1 home in Indiana. I did not renew the lease with the tenants and they were out by the agreed date, But they did not return any of the 3 keys they were given and didn't sign anything saying they were out of the property. I had to get the locks changed and the tenants may have still had access to the property. Plus they never did a final walk-through and didn't sign off on anything. Am i required to get back with them about their deposit within 45 days of them leaving the property or 45 days after changing the locks and them having no more access to the property?
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  barristerinky replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

If the tenants never turned in their keys, then they would still be considered to be in legal possession of the property until you took action to end any access that they might have had. So here, that would be when you changed the locks so that any keys that they kept would then be inoperable. Turning in the keys is the primary indicator that they are surrendering legal possession back to the landlord.

.

So the time when the 45 days would start to run would be the day you changed the locks.

.

.

thanks