How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 118200
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in NC, I secured a place to live father and brother

Customer Question

I live in NC, I secured a place to live for my father and brother after my mother passed away, 4 years ago My name is ***** ***** lease but my father and brother are the tenants. They pay the rent.The landlord would not let them sin the lease because they were new in our town with no credit. Since my father has passed in 2012 so my brother lives there by himself. It is month to month to month. I know longer wish to be on the lease, I have asked the landlord 3 times to take me off and put my brother on but he never gives me an answer. So can I give him notice a written notice that I want off the lease. My brother wants to continue to live there, he pays and he is the tenant all utilities are his. All repairs or anything with the house my brother and the landlord talk. What can I do. thanks JCCJ
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You can only send in notice that you wish to terminate the lease, but once you do that, then the landlord could choose to evict your brother and not sign a lease with him. It would then be up to your brother to negotiate a new lease with the landlord. That would be the only way you can get the landlord to remove you from the lease though if he is not willing to give your brother the new lease on his own after you have asked.