How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 2983
Experience:  Litigation Attorney
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a room mate with the owner of a house. I exchange

Customer Question

I am a room mate with the owner of a house. I exchange cleaning and cooking for rent. The owner has just been diagnosed with Alzheimer's and his son has changed the locks on the house and won't let me in
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 2 years ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

If you are a tenant, even if you do not have a lease, you cannot be locked out from the property. This is called a self-help remedy and is highly frowned upon by the court. The son cannot through you out without evicting you. Most states allow for a month to month tenant to have the lease terminated with a months notice. Depending on your states laws, you will be able to sue the landlord for damages. This is not permissible under any state's laws.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site. (There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to my answer, an excellent or good rating would be fantastic.)

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 2 years ago.

I see you reviewed my answer, do you have any further questions? If not could you positively rate my answer so I can get credit for my work from the site?