How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MDLawyer Your Own Question
MDLawyer, Lawyer
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 6135
Experience:  10 years in legal practice. Over 5 years in advising clients on landlord/tenant issues, including on a pro bono basis.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
MDLawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in California/bay area/.my landlord increases my rent

Customer Question

I live in California/bay area/.my landlord increases my rent $200.00per month evey year. I am not a low income parson. Just avarage middle class. I cannot find the employer who would be willing to give me the rise of $ 200 or even $100 a month. There are no chooses of the cheaper apartments in bay area so Idon't have even options too look for another housing.Can I Sue the landlord for totally lowering my quality of life and being afraid that I will be homeless next time? I can only say I would never do that if there are any choices but since 3 years tenants in this area are left with no options. The supply and demand stories are not true because apartment in the range $3000.00- $5000.00 for some strange reason are always available. Kj
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  MDLawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for using the Just Answer website. I look forward to assisting you. Unfortunately, unless you are living in a rent controlled or rent stabilized unit, it is not illegal to raise the rent. Therefore, while you can sue - since anyone can sue in this country - you would not have a valid cause of action.