How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 56829
Experience:  Experience representing landlords and tenants.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a fire in my unit pf a rented duplex on July 25, 2015.

Customer Question

I had a fire in my unit pf a rented duplex on July 25, 2015. My landlord has filed SUMMONS IN FORCIBLE ENTRY AND UNLAWFUL DETAINER with the courts in Jefferson County, Colorado. She told me if I have my belongings removed she will cancel the hearing. She has also told me if she does I will have to pay her for fees she has incurred in filing the papers. I REALLY, REALLY need assistance so I KNOW what I am liable for.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.


Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

First, if fire happened, owner should notify insurer who normally covers. If you have renter insurance, likewise notify insurer.

For liability, to the extent landlord can show you caused the fire and did so negligently, then you could be liable for damages incurred to real and personal property belonging to landlord. If you caused it and there is damage, agreeing to move is not a bad solution but get a written release first and agreement. Kindly rate the answer positively.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions