How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 116755
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years experience.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Feb. 15 I came from Minnesota to Florida to buy a trailer on

Customer Question

Feb. 15 I came from Minnesota to Florida to buy a trailer on a 55 and older mobile home park. I was so excited I bought the mobile home for $3500 and the sweller cinvinced me to get the title transfered before I was accepted to mobile home park. I was denied acceptance because I was told by Community Manager I was to truthful. I put on application of being convicted of marijuana in 1975 and cocaine in 1980, something happened 35 years ago. The seller convinced me I would have no problem with this as it happened long ago. I thought so too. I was about ready to sue the mobile home park for discrimination or bias as I felt like I was convicted all over again. Don't even if there is any case at all for this.
Any,way, I have to pay $598.75 a month for l;ot rent for a place I can't live at. I have had a realtor for 2 months trying to sell mobile home. I paid $3500 for mobile home and trying to sell for $4000 and will drop to $3000 very soon. I have tp pay the realtor $2500 under contract for 3 months. I can't afford paying the lot rent as I only get a disability check
of $1650 a month. My fixed expense is about $90-0 a month.
How can I get out of title of mobile home so I can stop paying the $598.75 lot rent? Can I abandon the lot. Can I just give trailer to mobile home park and be done with it? What are my options? I put myself nerve racking situations. Thank You, Neil
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You can sue them for their unreasonable denial of you living there, based on the convictions being so long ago that their denial is arbitrary and capricious and they are not to "unreasonably deny" membership in the park. A 30+ year old conviction is unreasonable denial, especially for those convictions.

If you choose not to take them to court, your next option is to seek to rent out the home, if there is no prohibition in the bylaws against doing so. If there is a prohibition, your next step is to seek to sell it.

Your final option should be to negotiate with them to give them the home and abandon the property. The problem with this is that if they refuse to take it, they can sue you for the rent and then you would have to file bankruptcy to get the whole debt extinguished and walk away from the whole situation.

Those are your options based on what you have stated.

Related Landlord-Tenant Questions