How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Satisfied Customers: 37790
Experience:  I have handled Real Estate and Landlord Tenant matters for more than two decades.
Type Your Landlord-Tenant Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have recently purchased a small farm houe in Texas with

Customer Question

I have recently purchased a small white farm houe in Texas with acreqage for my cattle. I intended to rent the farm houeto to my son and daughter-in-law and two smaqll children. Ihave had a construction compant wrking on the remodeling and my son also worked on it for about threemonths. He was paid about $32,000. He is also a roofer and had too many jobs to continue wrking on the house. Now the couple has split, his roofing jobs have dried up, he spent the last month living ina hotel room. He pays no child support and has refused to move into the farm house until today when he reqaad an email from his wife to me where we discused moving her and the boys in to the house. My son spent the night there lastnight and is now claiming squatters rights and says he changed all the door locks and locks to front gate. How do Ilegally gethim out of the house - resstraining order?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Landlord-Tenant
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

While you may have intended to rent the farmhouse to your son and family, if the rental agreement was never finalized, then neither your son nor any of his family have the legal right to be there. Your son's argument that he has squatter's rights is ludicrous and he is violating Texas law.

Quite simply, if your son has only been there for 24 hours, and he is there without your permission, he is not a squatter but is there illegally. The way to get him out is to call the police or sheriff and tell them that you are aware that he moved in yesterday illegally and that he has changed the locks and is denying you access to your property.

Once you have him out you can ask that the police charge him with trespass and ask them to issue a legal trespass warning such that if he comes back onto your property without permission you can call the police and he will be immediately arrested.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,


Related Landlord-Tenant Questions